ASGA is the national organization that trains & supports collegiate Student Governments.
- ASGA has nearly 1,500 member institutions from all 50 states and many international members
- ASGA produces 11 training conferences nationwide attended by thousands of student leaders and advisors, including the National Student Government Summit
- ASGA conducts research for our members
- ASGA provides consulting & training services
- ASGA provides step-by-step guides in the SG Toolbox to help Student Government improve
A Brief History of ASGA
The idea for ASGA stemmed from a discussion on one of Student Leader’s e-mail lists. In fall of 2001, list members were debating the need for another national student lobbying organization, and one student proposed a National Student Government Association of America (NSGAA). While generating a great deal of interest, NSGAA never got past the discussion phase.
Picking up where the list serve discussion left off, Student Leader conducted a survey on the topic in Student Leader and Florida Leader magazines, gathering data from more than 225 Student Government leaders and advisors. This direct feedback from potential members helped determine which services and resources would be most useful, as well as what direction the organization (now called ASGA) would eventually take.
ASGA’s 100 founding members also offered constructive criticism throughout the beta testing of the ASGA Web site, prior to ASGA’s official launch on March 17, 2004. On March 9, 2005, ASGA sponsored its first SG training conference in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the campus of Villanova University.
ASGA now has nearly 1,500 member institutions, produces 11 SG training conferences, conducts groundbreaking research, and consults with SGs nationwide. ASGA has become the premier professional organization serving and supporting collegiate Student Governments across the nation.
The ASGA team will forever be grateful to these visionary Student Governments.
For more information, call toll-free 1-877 ASK ASGA (1-877-275-2742) or write email@example.com.